Monday, October 25, 2010

The Internet Magic Forum

Okay, somebody had to point out the big green elephant in the room... What's the deal with magic forums? Who's bright idea was it to create an online community for magicians, when the LAST thing we need is an online community?

But why, you may ask, are magic forums such a bad thing? They are a place to get advice, aren't they? They are a place to discuss and debate topics in the art of magic, aren't they?

Yes, and that's what's wrong with it. Why the hell am I going to accept performing advice from a forum magician? Do you actually think the fact that he's logged in 8 hours a day dishing out advice means he has experience? The fact that people accept this advice as though it is credible appalls me.

Yes, magic forums connect us, and yes, they are a good way of sharing experiences and becoming somewhat of a distanced community. But if you actually think you're getting totally credible advice from magic forums, you are mistaken. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of forum go-ers that CAN give legitimately worthwhile advice... these magicians usually have a bounty of years of experience under their belts, and now take it easy in their magical retirement and help the young and less experienced magicians of the world. But let me ask you a question: How do you seperate the men from the boys here? How can you TELL who has said experience, or who can't practice what they preach? How much do you want to bet that half of these advice-givers are sitting at their computer with a worn copy of Strong Magic, typing advice directly out of the pages? Or giving their own crackpot advice?

Every minute you spend on a magic forum is a minute you spend NOT getting experience and NOT learning. I can compare this to playing a Soccer Video Game... you're not actually playing soccer! But it sure feels like it doesn't it? People play a racing video game, think it makes them experts at driving, then can't park a car to save their lives. Same deal.

To whoever pioneered the magic forum... shame on you. You've given an alcoholic a six-pack of Heineken. Nobody really needs it, but if they've got it, they'll use and abuse it. They'll drink and drink and eventually think they're capable of jumping off a 5 story building.

Well guess what? Splat.

1 comment:

  1. Hello...

    Again you are making statements based solely in your point of view...to effectively do a criticism you have to look at the bigger picture...

    Before I enter the T11 forums, I had absolutely no friends that did magic..now I have a lot...but that´s not the subject here...but again...look at the bigger picture..

    I do feel that I got great advice since day one,based on one reason...I look the advice and see what one acomodates more my style and then apply it...sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn´t...but that´s part of life,to go wrong, to choose what advice to follow and which not... please!! think about about it...maybe I am exagerating..but getting the advice spoon feed by the pros is just too much to ask...do you want it that way?

    I guess everyone has something to teach us and that´s the point of the forums (aside from friends and bla bla bla) to seek advice and help each other...you cannot know who is more experienced in the forums, maybe looking their past posts and other means, but seriously Michael...I am a very good magician now..and a couple years ago I walked without direction and I am proud to say that the forums helped to be the magician I am now...to learn from others to avoid making the same mistakes, to see what other people would do in my situation..

    In the T11 forums or others is easy to see what´s good advice..you failed to realize that...I was looking a couple years ago some threads and I saw a post of a person called "Brad Henderson" I had no idea who this guy was or did...but his advice seemed very good and solid and I did recognized the knowledge based on only one post...because it was helpful, well written and honest...I didn´t know anything about showmanship or magic, but I did recognize the wisdom in those words...glad I took his advice!!

    Being part of a comunity is a part of being a magician...is easy to find the newest tricks, get advice...again...GET ADVICE...find people near you, get some help, solve doubts and so many advantages that I don´t want to name here...

    Shame on you!! if you think the forums are the last thing we need...because maybe it´s easy for you to research and learn from reliable sources...but other people just can´t do that...for a variety of reasons...maybe you should put yourself in other peoples shoes...or...well...SPLAT!!!

    ReplyDelete